Suge Knight’s lawyer is claiming “a massive scandal and cover-up” that possibly involves a hit man and Dr. Dre are behind the Death Row founder’s extreme jail restrictions.
In a lengthy legal motion filed Friday, lawyer Thaddeus Culpepper argued Knight is being held without phone, mail or visitor privileges to keep him from “connecting” his pending 2015 murder case to the 2014 nightclub shooting that nearly killed him.
The filing alleges that the main sheriff’s detective now investigating Knight for murder also worked the nightclub investigation and previously told him a man identified only as “Tee-Money” confessed he was one of the shooters inside 1Oak.
The same detective “informed Knight that the gunman stated that Dr. Dre paid him and a friend $50,000 to kill Knight,” according to Culpepper’s motion.
Dr. Dre, 51, is the wildly successful rap mogul who released his 1992 breakthrough album “The Chronic” on Death Row but later cut ties to Knight.
The new court paperwork further claims that an off-duty sheriff’s deputy “was seen on video letting the gunmen in the front door of 1Oak.”
That same deputy allegedly was later seen at LAX airport “helping the gunmen flee the country,” the filing reviewed by the Daily News claims, and authorities “inexplicably released Tee-Money.”
Knight, 50, was shot six times inside 1Oak but reportedly managed to walk outside and seek help after the barrage of bullets.
The Friday filing doesn’t state a motive for Dr. Dre to order a hit on Knight, but it references a recent news story titled “Can Knight Get A Fair Trial?” by writer Michael Douglas Carlin.
The Carlin story, attached as an exhibit to the motion, claims Knight was seeking money from Dr. Dre. It doesn’t link Dr. Dre to the 1Oak shooting but discusses various theories related to the 1990s rap wars, the still-unsolved murder of Tupac Shakur and alleged corruption.
Attempts to reach a rep for Dr. Dre were not immediately successful Monday.
Culpepper claimed in his motion that ever since Knight ran over two men with his truck in the parking lot of Tam’s restaurant in Compton, sheriff officials stopped giving Knight any information regarding 1Oak.
Knight turned himself in after the fatal hit-and-run in January 2015 and has been in custody ever since.
He has pleaded not guilty to charges of murder and attempted murder. He claims he was the victim of an armed assault and was fleeing for his life when he mowed down Terry Carter and Cle (Bone) Sloan, killing Carter.
Culpepper’s filing also claims investigators tried to use a jailhouse informant named Danny Timms to “screw” Knight.
It alleges investigators “wanted Timms to lie and state that Knight confessed that he intended to run over Carter.”
Culpepper wrote in his paperwork that it would be “impossible at this juncture to assess the veracity of the statements” included in his filing, but he argued Knight’s constitutional rights as a pre-trial detainee are being violated.
He claims the court should not have allowed the Sheriff’s Department to apply for and receive sealed orders eliminating Knight’s phone and mail privileges and visits with family.
His filing says only Knight and the Los Angeles County District Attorney have the right to seek sealing orders.
The lawyer even took aim at three judges overseeing Knight’s current legal matters.
“The supervising judge and two superior court judges worked in concert to violate these rules and several others to defraud defendant Marion (Suge) Knight of his United States and California constitutional rights,” the Friday filing states.
A DA spokeswoman had no comment Monday. The Sheriff’s Department did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Culpepper’s motion seeks to unseal the secret orders issued as far back as March 17, 2015, that have restricted Knight’s phone, mail and visitation privileges to communication with his lawyers only.
Presently, Knight is not allowed to communicate directly with any relatives, friends, spiritual advisors or private investigators.
A hearing on the unsealing motion is set for April 21.